I hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable summer. I know with COVID it may have made vacation planning a bit challenging still or have left you being a bit more creative in your plans in order to keep yourself and your family as safe as possible. I apologize for the lateness of this newsletter. I meant to get to it while I was at the lake over the weekend but when I went to transfer the newsletter folder from my data stick to my laptop I inadvertently did the copy/transfer in the wrong direction and transferred the empty folder from my laptop to the data stick and wrote over all my files. I had to wait until I got home and back to my desktop computer in order to get this taken care of. The time has come for us as a Lodge to get back to work as we enter the back half of the year. Coming up this Tuesday, Sep. 7th is our monthly Stated Meeting. This has turned out to be a very short meeting so it is a perfect night to come to Lodge and re-connect with your Brothers, enjoy a good meal and not be out until late. I can say with almost certainty that we will be done before 8:00pm.
We have a number of other important upcoming events during this last part of the year and the first of those is our Community Day/Fish Fry on Friday, Sept 24th and Sat Sept 25th. This event can only succeed with the help of our Brethren. Without the Brothers coming out to help work the event it makes it very difficult to pull off. Even if you can only work a few hours it would be a tremendous help and as an added benefit, those who come to work the fish fry also receive a free meal for their services. The primary responsibility of the Lodge Brothers is the outside tent/drive-thru service as well as running the fryers so you will be outside getting plenty of fresh air and on Saturday you will get to enjoy the live music while you work. Also, as in the past, we need donations of pop/soda. Please consider picking up a 12-pack or case of pop and bring it by the Lodge on a Tuesday evening. We also need to borrow some large coolers if anyone has one or more to lend to the Lodge for this event. Please ensure your name is somewhere on the cooler so we can get it back to you. See the end of this newsletter for a message from our Community Day Chairman for further information on this event.
Coming up this Saturday, our Eastern Star is back at it with their monthly breakfast which supports their ICAN project. This is normally held the 1st Saturday of the month but with the Holiday this past week they pushed it to Sep. 11th this month. This is an all you can eat breakfast for an $8 donation. Come on out an enjoy breakfast and fellowship from 8:30am until 10:30 am while helping to support the ladies of our Eastern Star.
The following day, Sep. 12th you can head on down to Franklin, Indiana for the 73rd Annual Compass Park Indiana Masonic Home Festival. The festival runs from 10:00am until 4:00pm and will have a variety of activities and entertainment for young and old alike. There will also of course be food for purchase as well as craft vendors, entertainment acts and a parade. Come on out and show some support for our Masonic Home. You never know, some of us may end up being residents there some day in the future.
As everyone will recall, this year’s Master Mason class is dedicated to the memory of WB Mark Griffin. The rocks glasses commissioned to honor the memory of WB Mark Griffin are in and can be purchased from your officers. These glasses look incredible and are American made! The price for a single glass will be $10.00, two for $18.00 and a set of 4 will be $35.00. Make sure to get your glass(es) early to remember the life of such a dedicated Mason and Veteran.
Quote of the Week:
“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
Our focus should always be to take good men and make them better. None of us knows what the future may hold but even if we did we should stay focused on the present. Your Lodge needs your help to bring in good men that we can bring to Masonic Light and make them better men. I know we all have friends, coworkers, family members or acquaintances that we know who are not Masons but would indeed make a great addition to our Fraternity. Invite them to join us for a dinner some evening or better yet invite them to our upcoming Community Day/Fish Fry.
Millersville 126 News / Dates:
Sep. 7 – Stated Meeting
- Executive Committee Meeting 5:30pm
- Dinner 6:00pm
- Lodge 7:00pm
Sep. 11 – OES Monthly Breakfast
- 8:30am until 10:30am
Sep. 12 – Compass Park Indiana Masonic Home Festival
- 10:00am until 4:00pm
Sep. 15 – Social Evening
- Dinner 6:00pm
Sep. 24 – Fish Fry
- 4:00pm until 8:00pm
Sep. 25 – Community Day/Fish Fry
- 10:00am until 8:00pm
- 2 Live bands from roughly Noon until 7pm
- Vendors on site
This Week’s Birthdays
Perry Baldwin (9/6), Randy Hillenburg (9/7), Donald Maxey (9/7), Jesse Viehe (9/7), Donald Morris (9/8), Michael Pendleton (9/9), Thomas Coers (9/10), Dardhe Lake (9/11), Denny Young (9/11)
This Week’s Raisings
David Bowman (9/8)
If anyone is planning to travel or visit another Lodge or has been asked to come assist with a degree, please reach out to me and let me know so we can get a few more Brothers to go and make a visit out of it. Below is the travel opportunities site I go to. If you see anything there that interests you make sure to let me know. This is also a great opportunity for Mentors to take their mentees to see some extra degree work to aid in their learning.
We are sitting at 10 different Lodges visited for a total of 590 round trip miles. We have completed the requirements for both of the Grand Lodge Travel Awards. That doesn’t mean we are going to stop traveling as I would like to see us go for some of the many traveling implements in the area and bring them home to Millersville. We will have a bit more upcoming travel soon as we will once again be going dark during July and August, however, we will need to keep our ritual game strong by traveling around and watching and being a part of degrees at other Lodges.
Millersville Lodge #126
MESSAGE FROM COMMUNITY DAY CHAIRMAN
It won’t be long and our yearly fundraiser will be here, September 24 and 25. The Millersville Community Day Festival plans are moving along very well. Here are some of the highlights:
- We have sent a brochure about the event to all the business in the area requesting their sponsorship. Members have been encouraged to solicit sponsors as able.
- The Brothers and Eastern Star Sisters in our Lodge are really stepping up to staff the needed roles. On Saturday, we will need help with preparing and transporting food, taking orders, assisting with parking, promoting Masonry through working at our table or giving tours, and assisting with vendors. Please consider taking a role in these activities.
- Randy Snyder has volunteered to oversee the food production activities in the tent. If you can help there, please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registrations from vendors for the market are coming in but we need more. If you know of someone who would like to participate in our market, please have them connect with me at email@example.com.
- Entertainment – We will have two professional classic rock bands to provide entertainment throughout the day (six hours or so). Hewitt and Fink are legendary musicians from the Madison IN music scene. Darryl Hewitt is also a Masonic Brother. Wildhart is a very popular local band and plays professionally in the area. If you like classic rock and blues music, you will be in for a real treat.
- Plan to have a supervised bouncy house for the kids. Charles Moore is working on this. Need someone to help here with supervision on the day of. If you know of anyone that does face painting, please have them contact me at the above email address.
- May have a magician that will have a booth.
- Steve Tipton created the Event Flyer for use on social media. Please let us know if you need a copy of this flyer for sharing on social media.
- The Millersville at Fall Creek Valley neighborhood organization will be posting this flyer in their monthly newsletters prior to the event. They will also be there contributing to the open market and are inviting other community organizations to participate as well.
- We will be erecting a banner in front of our building well in advance to advertise the event.
- An event was created for both Millersville pages on Facebook and will be advertised on Nextdoor as well. Please assist us in this effort and forward these event to your friends. The Indiana Grand Lodge has contacted us and they would like to cohost this event. This will allow our FB event to be posted on their page as well. The GL marketing rep has been very helpful!
- Donations as little as $50 to help cover the cost of this event can be made at the following website address: https://millersvillelodge.org/sponsor/. Please contribute if you are able.
The goal for this event is to accomplish several things for our lodge:
- Grow our lodge – By reaching out to the community in this way, this event will make Millersville Lodge a destination point for many people in the community on one day of the year. Hopefully, by visiting with us on this day and learning more about Masonry, they will also join us for further fellowship permanently.
- Raise funds for the Lodge – If we grow our lodge, we will raise funds that way, in addition to sponsorships from our friends and vendors in the market. Hope we sell a ton of food too. The event is free but we will have donation boxes situated throughout the grounds.
- Build relationships within our community, and
- Have great fun and fellowship as Brothers and Sisters.
So, we are looking forward to a very productive weekend and a lot of fun. Hopefully the success of this event will shape the fundraising efforts of our Lodge for years to come in a positive way and enhance the relationship with our Community.
Ron Featherston P.M.